Thursday, January 5, 2012

January Thaw

So there's a thing around here they call "The January Thaw". Personally I'm not a big fan. A.) I like the cold...it's why I moved to Idaho. B.)  Wearing my brand new down coat has becoming sweatingly uncomfortable and I'm forced to go back to just a jacket. C.) I haven't even fallen down on the ice once this year! D.) I really want to try out the sleds on the back of the quads without having a backside looking like Kate's :D.....anyway, the list could go on and on, but I'm not one to complain.......heh.

On the plus side, I actually am enjoying the "warm" weather. It's got me so excited for camping this summer! I think I'll pull out the maps and get a plan together :) Yesterday while I was home for lunch Ozker kept scratching on the back door so I slid it open enough for him to come in and out. He likes to hang out with all the sparrows chilling on the bird feeder. I sat at the table eating my lunch, commenting on Facebook how strange it was to be able to keep the door open, and enjoying the smell of the fresh air coming inside. All of a sudden

Flitter Flutter Flap!

In comes a zooming sparrow! She fluttered around for a couple seconds until she found the big picture window. I almost got her a couple times, but no such luck. Finally I realized this might take longer than I had so I called in to work to let them know I might be a couple minutes late......I even took pictures just in case they didn't believe me hehehe


She finally found the top of the cupboards in the kitchen and hid behind a tin. I snuck a picture while she took a little breather. Just as I was getting ready to go in for another grab she flew straight for the back door and smashed into the glass. She dropped to the ground and not even Ozker was going to inspect her. I think we were all pretty nervous about the outcome. I gently lifted up her limp body with flopping head and got her outside on the rug. She laid there for awhile, but I could see she was breathing. I couldn't bear to go back to work without knowing if she was ok. After a couple minutes a few other birds came back to the feeder and down to the rug to start pecking at the seed. I saw her head come up a little.....she was curious I think :)......


After a few more seconds she was good as new :) She hopped around with her buddies...



Then she flew off into the closest tree. :) Happy ending and a few lessons learned A.) Close the screen door. B.) If bird enters again, open the backdoor all the way. C.) I am not as Dr. Doolittle-esque as I used to be....must work on that....

Yay for summer heat and camping in the nature! :)

1 comment:

Tawnya said...

You are going to the birds..... I am so glad you enjoy nature. I love you.