Sunday, January 22, 2012

Daily Hobby

A few years ago my sister was planning her wedding. She, like any normal bride, wanted everything to be perfect and beautiful....she had one challenge.....her Alaskan, hippy-esque, make-up free maid of honor - me. :) So she did what any brilliant, financially well to do sister would do...she and Mom treated me to a day of a makeover at the M.A.C. store. They hooked me up with everything I needed to get started. At first I was completely mortified. I was embarrassed that I would end up looking like a clown for the rest of our shopping day. I was embarrassed that I was 28 and didn't know how to wear makeup. I was embarrassed that I was getting spoiled and didn't even care about the end product.

This may sound so ridiculously shallow (bear with me because I really don't mean it to be), but that day changed my life :)....my sister has a tendency to do that to me....change my life ;) Since then I have found a love of makeup. Many late nights and early mornings you can find me tucked under my covers with my phone in hand watching youtube videos on makeup tutorials. For Christmas this year Ozker (bless his heart) got me an eyeshadow pallet of 88 colors. I've taken the mindset of "makeup = vanity, makeup = high maintenance" to "makeup = art". It is so much fun!!!!!

I remember as a youth I read in a magazine somewhere that you should never try to match your makeup to what you're wearing. You should just stick to what looks good on your specific skin tone and eye color. Well who the crap can judge that? So I've joined the ranks in breaking that stupid rule! Yay for silly rule breaking :)

Ok, right now you are about to see some really HORRIBLE photography. The lighting is crap, it's done by me with my phone, I'm rushing out the door to work....everything about these pictures are gross. They were basically taken to show my inspirational sister as something to giggle about, but it's getting the point across at how much fun I'm having. :)

Yellow eyes worn with a black sweater and ginormous yellow wooden earrings.



Pink eyes worn with a pink sweater....I later figured out how to tone this one down quite a bit more as  bright, clown pink, with orange hair isn't the best look haha. Fortunately this was a day off and not too many others had to witness it :D But the toned down look actually worked really well!


First attempt ever at false eyelashes....they didn't last long as I need quite a bit more practice with them, but they were super fun!!!


Anyway, like I said, i need to work on the pictures...like with hair and clothing finished....But I'm having a blast every single morning and that's all that matters :) I've finally learned, after 30 years of life that it's ok to try to make yourself beautiful. And it's even more ok to truly feel beautiful. That's not a feeling I'm used to, but I'm trying to do it gracefully and sincerely. But most importantly, don't take yourself too serious. Have fun. Giggle in the mirror if you've made a mess of yourself. Take a picture to prove that you're a goof. Then the next day start all over again, giggling the whole time and loving every minute of it :) That, my friend, is even better than coffee :)

2 comments:

Tawnya said...

When you turned 3 (or there about) I knew then you had "perfect eyes" and I couldn't wait to make you up. But you were not that kind of a child. I didn't get to do it. EVER. It is so much fun to watch you evolve now. Your eyes are always beautiful. You are so creative! Keep up the good work.

Gorillabites said...

you made me cry happy tears. I miss you.