Sunday, February 26, 2012

Valentines Day

I am 31 years old and never once, not even in grade school, have I ever had a Valentine of my own. As a teen and a younger adult this used to really bother me. I guess it's still a little sad even now, but I've learned to appreciate this day without getting caught up in the "Single Awareness Day" mentality. This year I put a little different spin on it. It was inspired by one of my dearest friends, who always seems to be living an exact parallel life to me, no matter where we are :) She has taken to sort of dating herself. She is falling in love with herself. She is finding true beauty in who she really is. Not very many women can do this. We always tell each other "if only you could see yourself the way I do". Try it, it's not that easy. It takes a brave heart and a kind mind. And yet once in while if you can catch a glimpse it can give you more strength than you can imagine.

I suppose I've taken this into my own life lately...hence my latest fascination with embracing being a woman. I've always had a strong belief in the power of women. I've been raised knowing how incredible and magical we are. And yet I've spent much of my life living as hidden from femininity as I could. But lately, I'm find such beauty in ruffles, lace, and pearl.

So this year as Valentines Day was sneaking up on us, I looked around and found not cupids and lovers and romance in the decor, but I found the beauty of women and femininity. I saw lace, I saw pink, I saw hearts. And I gave them all a mental hug. On that "dreaded" day I curled my hair, I wore pink and jewelry, and most importantly I wore a smile. I loved myself. I wished everyone a sincere happy day, no matter what their plans were. Once I was done with work, I do what every girl wants...I spoiled myself :)

I went to a new store that I hadn't checked out yet. I went with the expectation that no matter how much things cost, I was going to by myself a present, because today I was the best date I ever had :) Fortunately for me, and my pocketbook, this new store is very affordable, and therefore, my new best friend hehehe. There's a whole wall of $5 and under jewelry. I got 3 rings for $10. I got a darling! red, felt jacket for $20....this coat alone makes me feel like one of the cutest and sexiest girls in this town....which isn't really hard to do, but it's hard for me to feel :) So, without much further ado....here is my haul from Mila Couture!

 I'm totally getting a kick out of the fact that on the counter are birth control pills bahahahaha. Classic.

 Rings, earrings, necklace, oh my!

 Learning how to strut my stuff and taking a little inspiration with me :)

And so I survived, and thoroughly enjoyed this years Valentine's Day. Don't get me wrong, I was still holding my breath for a bouquet of flowers from a suitor, I still felt the slight sting of disappointment that is inevitable. But I also found so much to be thankful for. I took the bad with the good. And really, isn't that the point of life? At the end of the day if you still found the good along with the bad, felt the balance of life...then I'd say you're doing ok :)

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

:) You make me smile, Tyia. You are beautiful, inside and out. And I couldn't be happier sharing a parallel life with you!

Kelsey said...

P.S. I LOVE THAT RING!!!

Gorillabites said...

I just left a long and sentimental comment... and my password didn't work so my note got dumped. :( But, in summary, it went something like this: I. Want. That. Ring. And, you are an inspiration to me and so many other ladies. You are strong. And beautiful. And one of the most generous (if not THE most generous) people I know. You are my hero. My mentor. And my best friend. And amazing.